Sunday, June 13, 2010

Shielding hardly potential, Schumacher said

Michael Schumacher suffered a very much challenging Canadian GP on Sunday as he, having won seven times at the Gilles Villeneuve circuit, crossed the line 11th for Mercedes on an afternoon which aspect some incidents and a puncture. Avoiding problems at the start, Schumacher ran as high as third in Montreal although - having been one of the first runners to change onto his final set of tyres - the German began to struggle with dreadfully worn rears.


"At the start, everything went great and we made up places as we had been hoping for," Schumacher explained. "The first stop was perfectly timed, so it was looking quite promising. Then I had a puncture on the front-right tyre after my first pit-stop, after I got together with Kubica, and that obviously decided my race.


"From there, I was stuck in traffic and there was nothing more to do because today our weapons were not very sharp. Towards the end, I was trying as hard as I could to defend myself but it was only possible to a certain degree and my tyres were just ruined after having done more than half the race distance."


Images © Sutton Images