Sunday, June 13, 2010

Lewis Hamilton: One of my toughest races so far but one more 1-2 for us

Lewis Hamilton was pleased with McLaren's Canadian GP result on Sunday as the Working group registered its second successive 1-2 finish. 2008 Champion also heads to the top of the Drivers' Championship for the first time this year. Having taken a third Montreal pole from as a lot of races at the Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve on Saturday, Hamilton raced to his second Victory at the venue on Sunday - where he had won for the first time in his Formula 1 career back in 2007.


"It's been a tremendous weekend, it's been fantastic," he said. "Things have just gone so well, we've had incredible support from the fans and the team did an exceptional job.


"The race was probably one of my toughest races so far but another 1-2 for us, so I'm very happy and proud of the team."


But, a level of luck did play into Lewis' hands; having been running behind Fernando Alonso, following losing the lead exiting the pits, the McLaren man moved ahead of the Ferrari as it became stuck in traffic.


"I think I came in quite a bit ahead of him but clearly we had not the best pit-stop," Lewis explained of the first incidence. "I saw him being released and then he was in my blind spot. All of a sudden he was right there with me, we raced all the way down to the first corner but then he got ahead of me…fair play to him."